Women join #Hair4Freedom on 26 November
- Posted by Maryam Namazie
- On November 8, 2022
- 0 Comments
PRESS RELEASE 22 November 2022
Join One Law for All and FiLiA for a mass hair-cutting in solidarity with Iran
Piccadilly Circus, London. 26 November. 3-4pm.
Women can take part in this solidarity action in person and from home please see our joint statement HERE for steps women can take to participate in the solidarity action.
Since the murder of Iranian Kurdish woman Mahsa Zhina Amini by the Islamic regime of Iran’s morality police for ‘improper’ veiling, there have been daily mass protests in Iran. These protests, led by brave Iranian women and girls, are being supported by men and attended by people in their tens of thousands every day across the country.
Maryam Namazie (spokesperson One Law for All) comments:
“The Islamic regime has stepped up its repression, sending tanks, machine guns and weapons of war to the streets of Kurdistan. There are numerous reports of rape and sexual abuse against women and girls who have been arrested, over 15,000 so far across Iran. And hundreds have been killed, many of them children and young people. The only way we can help stop these killings and show solidarity is by coming out in their defence. #Hair4Freedom is one way to support, strengthen and encourage the women’s revolution in Iran. If women don’t come out in full force for women in Iran, who else will?”
See also Maryam’s video message HERE.
“FiLiA stands in solidarity with our Iranian Sisters as they continue the long and honourable tradition of female resistance against authoritarian rule in Iran. Part of a growing feminist revolution being witnessed worldwide; their determination and bravery is an example of what is possible when Women unite to fight for the liberation of us all,” says Lisa-Marie Taylor (FiLiA CEO).
To join this solidarity action, here are the steps that women can take:
- Join One Law for All and FiLiA in Piccadilly Circus, London on 26th November at 3pm for a mass hair-cutting.
- You can cut as much or as little of your hair as you are comfortable with.
- If you are taking part virtually please take a photo or video (10 seconds or less) of your hair-cutting solidarity action and post on social media during the 16 days of activism.
- Remember to tag @One_Law_for_All and @FiLiA_Charity and use hashtags #Hair4Freedom #MahsaAmini #16DaysofActivism.
- Post your hair in a small freezer style bag, and a name label if you can (no later than 15 December) to:
Hair 4 Freedom, One Law for All
London WC1N 3XX
- We hope to deliver your hair to the British Foreign Office and The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in London during January 2023. More information will be added to the website once all the hair has been received.
- Write to your MP about your involvement in this solidarity action (see below for a draft email you can use and to access a tool to help you find your MP’s email address). Remember to add your own comments if you can; personalised emails have more impact.
#Hair4Freedom is being organised during and as part of 16 days of activism. The Global 16 Days Campaign, launched by the Center for Women’s Global Leadership and feminists from around the world at the first Women’s Global Leadership Institute in 1991, is used worldwide to call for the elimination of sex-based violence. It is run annually from November 25 (International Day Against Violence Against Women) to December 10 (International Human Rights Day) #16DaysOfActivism.